udev(?) reordered drives causes kernel panic after upgrade

I had some trouble booting the 2.6.15-1-k7 kernel that I installed
to satisfy dependencies in an upgrade from sarge to etch, which
included an upgrade of udev.

I got this message when booting:

	VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
	Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I fixed the problem by changing sda to sdb and adding an initrd line in
the grub stanza for the kernel, i.e., I changed the automatically
generated stanza (influenced by the line '# kopt=root=/dev/sda2 ro'
in my /boot/grub/menu.lst):

	title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-k7
	root		(hd0,0)
	kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-k7 root=/dev/sda2 ro
	savedefault
	boot

to:

	title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-k7
	root		(hd0,0)
	kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-k7 root=/dev/sdb2 ro
	initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-k7
	savedefault
	boot

It seems that the new udev(?) orders the drives (in my case, sata)
differently. Also, previous kernel upgrades added an initrd line
automatically to the new stanza in /boot/grub/menu.list.

I figured out the new order of the drives by typing 'find | more' in the
ash(?) shell I was dropped into after rebooting (only having added the
initrd line). I paged until I found paths with sda1, sdb2, sdb2, etc.,
from which I deduced that sda was now the sata drive with only one
partition.

Should these issues be reported as bugs and if so,in which packages?
I found this: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=292038

Win