Re: Hardware

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lale [mailto:chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 1:35 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Hardware

Florian Kulzer wrote:

Chris Lale wrote:

Hello William - please reply to the list, not individuals. You may get

more replies that way!

Thank you for your response. I installed Debian without the Ethernet

card

been detected. Yes, I have the 2 dvd's.

My problem now is after installing Debian for the first time, I was

asked to

write a user name, a user account name, login name and password.

When I boot

the system, I am ask to login. I typed what I think is the login

name and

password I registered with, but I get an "invalid" response. I am

unable to

login. It is very frustrated because I don't know what to do next. I

login

those user names I always use, and I only have one(1) password I

used every

time.

Can you tell me how to bypass login name and password to enter Debian.

If you still know your root password (the first password that you were

asked to set during installation), you can use the user name "root" and

that password to log in. The root user can change all the other users'

passwords by using the command "passwd username". You can also create

new users with the command "adduser". The root account itself should not

be used for normal work.

If you have forgotten your root password you can break into your

computer the following way (assuming you have the GRUB bootloader):

1) Boot the computer, but stop it immediately at the blue GRUB screen,

for example by pressing the up/down cursor keys. Depending on your setup

you might have an entry for your normal kernel which will be called

something like "Debian GNU/Linux ..." and an entry called "memtest". Use

the up/down cursor keys to select the "Debian GNU/Linux ..." entry and

press "e" to edit it. Select the line which starts with "kernel"

(up/down again) and press "e" once more. You will see the line with some

parameters and a blinking cursor at the end. Add the following text to

the end of this line: "single init=/bin/bash" (without the quotation

marks). Make sure that there is a space between the original text and

your addition. Press <ENTER> when you are done and then "b" to boot.

2) If step 1 was successful your computer will boot to the root prompt

without asking for any password. Now run the following two commands:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

mount -avt nonfs,noproc,nosmbfs

(This will make the system files accessible.)

3) Use the "passwd" command to set a new root password. You will be

asked to type it twice without any characters showing on the screen.

4) Use the command "reboot" to restart your computer normally.

Afterwards you can log in as root with the new password and make all

necessary changes to get your normal account accessible again.

Regards,

Florian

William Roca wrote:

I have done everything you told me, and I have not been able to get into Linux. In case this may help, at the end I get this message:authentication token lock busy. Also, root@(none):/# and debian: #.

I am tired. Don’t know what to do.

Hello William.

I am afraid this is getting a bit beyond me. I did a Google search for your error

authentication token lock busy error

It seems to be something to do with PAM, possibly because root (/) is mounted read-only.

I don't know how it got into this state. Did you install from official CD/DVDs? If you used Knoppix or some other live CD, these can cause problems when used as installers. Is your hardware OK? Sometimes, you get strange effects when memory starts to fail. Memtest would show this up.

It may be quicker in the long run to re-install. Use the step-by-step guide at http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_a_small_partition to help you make sensible choices. If you still get problems, I would look for a hardware fault.

Chris.