From: Olafur Jens Sigurdsson [mailto:ojs@klaki.net] Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:00 AM
To: William Roca
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Hardware

Þann 2006-03-10, 22:55:03 (-0500) skrifaði William Roca:
Hi, my name is William.  I am about to install Debian Operating System,
but
I have a problem.  While trying to install, I got a message that said: "no
Ethernet card detected".  Could you help?

Is your case perhaps that you dont have an ethernet connection in
your computer and you are telling the installer to look up the
repository on the net instead of the CD that you are using to install
things from?
Yes - it is not clear _how_ you are trying to install Debian. Are you installling everything from CD/DVD, or are you doing a net install direct from the internet?

If you are installing everything from CD/DVD, you do not need an ethernet card for the install process. Get Debian running, then configure your ethernet card to use your existing broadband ethernet DSL/ADSL modem router. Instructions for this are at http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Broadband_-_setting_up_an_ethernet_ADSL_modem/router. If your XP system is using a USB DSL/ADSL modem, you do not need to use an ethernet card at all. Look at http://www.linux-usb.org/ and http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/index.html for help with USB modems.

If you are using the Debian installer from CD to install from the internet using the existing ethernet modem/router, you should do this:
   * Connect your existing modem/router to your ethernet socket.
* Find out the IP address of your modem/router from your XP system. Also identify a free static IP address on the local network. During installation, the Debian installer cannot use any DHCP server that may be running on your router. * Use XP to reconfigure your modem/router so that any DHCP server is temporarily disabled. Note: you may need to reconfigure XP networking to use a static IP in order to reconnect XP to the modem/router. Make sure that you know the IP address of the modem/router! If you do not want to do this, disconnect the modem/router from the PC instead. Reconnect it after the Debian installer has failed to autoconfigure DCHP and you get a message like

		Configure the network
		space forNetwork autoconfiguration failed
		Continue

* Find out the IP addresses of the nameservers provided by your broadband supplier. * Boot from the installer CD and enter expert26 at the prompt. 'expert' enables you to enter IP information needed to use the modem/router as a gateway. '26' installs the 2.6 kernel. * During installation, select the 'choose-mirror' from the list of installer components. It lets you search for a Debian mirror. * When prompted during installation, enter the IP information. The static IP address for your Debian installation must be on the same network as your modem/router (eg 192.168.nnn.xxx). The IP address of your modem/router is the gateway (eg 192.168.nnn.1).

For a general guide to installing Debian, look at http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_a_small_partition

Hth,
Chris.