Re: Getting OT: Re: Files piling up in /var/* directories

On Sunday 12 March 2006 00:41, Mike McCarty wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>Starting to get into topic drift here...

Gee, I hadn't noticed :)
[...]

And when he called, I was in the middle of trying to figure out Azureus.
Its moving data, but I haven't figured out where its putting it, and the
stats says the data rate in in byte per second, not good.  Like maybe
an mtu miss-match or stg.  So I was distracted.

>I bet it isn't $20 USD for a 40G hard drive. :-)

And with my ancient wet ram, I forgot to ask him.  I'll try to remember
that tomorrow.

>> What was your major (if you have a degree, I don't, 8th grade, self
>
>Mathematics. My graduate work is in Mathematical Probability and
>Statistics.

So the natural gravitation to someplace (telecoms) thats put billions
into defeating Shannons Law, or at least getting another db closer to
it.  I wonder if they ever will beat it.  Seems pretty much carved in
good marble to me.  Claude didn't try to hide it in $50 words either.
One smart man he certainly was.

>[snip]
>
>> won't buy *you* a cuppa.) and where do you want to apply yourself
>> next? Sometimes makeing a little noise might generate a lead or 2.
>
>Mostly anywhere that will make a buck. I've been heavily involved in
>embedded (telecom, doncha know), specialty is OS (kernel, debugger,
>device driver, program loader, configurator, fault isolator, that
>sort of stuff). Last stuff I was doing was system level requirements
>and high level design. The last real code work was leading a team
>of 15 engineers to do a whole new platform. The contract (ran from
>October 2004 through August 2005) was doing some work for pharmacy
>software. A little database, a little system interface (timeouts
>and passwords to support HIPPA), a little serial comm interface
>(to talk to insurance carrier computers), a little price negotiation
>software (again with insurance carrier computers).

With that background, it seems like something should come up before too
long.

Price negotiation?  Sounds like computerized bickering...  Interesting
idea.

Good luck at finding something soon.

[...]

--