firewall/router machine

hello list,

I'm trying to configure my debian sarge 3.1 as a router using iptables.
i got 2 nic (eth0, eth1) and a real ip 8 address for the lan and a true ip (diferent class) for the internet nic
something like xx.xx.xx.1-8 with x.x.x.1 as the gateway on the FW machine asigned to eth0.
and yy.yy.yy.AA/29 as the ip asigned to eth1.

I'm trying to route traffic from and to the lan with the filter/forward (table/chain) rules of the iptables but can't make it work.

my setup is:
-A FORWARD -i LAN_NIC -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISH,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Am I missing something??

I try pinging from the lan to the INET_NIC with no resolt....looks like no route between the 2 nic's ???!!!???

any help will be appriciated

Meni Szapiro