Re: Creating a journal as an afterthought

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:11:45AM +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:

[...]

> The second paragraph suggests that this should have happened
> automatically when I updated my (very aged) Woody to Debian 3.1r1 (the
> installed kernel image is now "kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386") and changed
> the entry in /etc/fstab.
>
> This does not appear to be the case.  One of the messages displayed when
> booting the updated setup reads "ext3: No journal on filesystem on hda6
> ". /dev/hda6 is the partition that was updated.

This message is printed by Debian's initrd when it creates the journal.
For some reason, the journal seems to disappear sometimes, or the initrd
thinks it has, but in any case it will be recreated if so.  I have no
idea why, but it shouldn't hurt.  My speculation is that Debian's initrd
does not detect existing /.journal journals.  Do you have /.journal?
If so, you can convert it with e2fsk: put e2fsck on mkinitrd using
/etc/mkinitrd/exe and then set DELAY in mkinitrd.conf to get a shell
from the initrd.  If you try that, please report back here.

Anyway, to verify that a filesystem is journaling, use:

tune2fs -l <filesystem device>|grep 'Filesystem features'

You should see the string "has_journal" in that line.  If you do, don't
worry about initrd's complaining.