Re: sudo doesn't set HOME

At 1141855431, Chris Bannister wrote:
> apt-cache policy sudo

That's a useful trick, I didn't know about that, thanks :) Now, for the
benefit of the OP, interpreting the output:

$ apt-cache policy sudo
sudo:
  Installed: 1.6.8p7-1.3
  Candidate: 1.6.8p7-1.3
  Version Table:
     1.6.8p12-1 0
        500 ftp://mirror.ox.ac.uk unstable/main Packages
 *** 1.6.8p7-1.3 0
        990 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.6.8p7-1.2 0
        990 ftp://mirror.ox.ac.uk stable/main Packages

This tells me that my sudo package is the one supplied by
security.debian.org, with version 1.6.8p7-1.3.

The version of debian packages consists of an "upstream" part and a
"local" part, separated by the dash. So, the sudo version in stable
hasn't changed in terms of it's "upstream" part, only the debian bit,
from -1.2 to -1.3.

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:30:12AM -0800, Willie Wonka wrote:
> $ sudo -V
> Sudo version 1.6.8p7

sudo -V only shows the "upstream" part, so it will not tell you if you
have got the security update or not.

If you don't have security.debian.org as an apt source (and so it hasn't
appeared in the apt-cache output above); visit
<http://www.debian.org/security/> to find out how.

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/