Re: "alsaconf" successful. No sound!

Bruno Buys spake thusly on 03/07/2006 04:52 PM:
Scott wrote:

Francesco Bochicchio spake thusly on 03/07/2006 02:54 PM:

Il Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:50:14 +0100, Felix Karpfen ha scritto:

I ran "alsaconf" on my recently-updated Debian 3.1r1.

It worked like a charm and ended with the following messages:

Running update-modules...
Setting default volumes...

 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

 Have a lot of fun!

However when checking the output of a .wav file by running the "play"
command from a console, I get a deafening silence. "alsamixer" says the
the "playback master" is set at 74.
What have I missed?  Prior to the update (when using the Sarge
pre-release) sound worked OK.

What about the  PCM channel? By default with ALSA it is muted
and with 0 volume. You need to unmute and raise its volume
using alsamixer.

I've always wondered what genius thought that default setting was a good idea......

It is indeed a good idea. It can prevent any non desired sound/music/popup-msg to wreak havoc into your speakers, say, when you load a livecd or something. Like owners of instrument amplifiers who like to mute the volume prior to turning it off.

Well just because many aren't happy with the default muted setting in ALSA doesn't mean we'd prefer full-blast either. And just for clarification, this isn't a Debian issue. It's an ALSA issue. The same problem persists on other distros as well (I can speak specifically to Fedora Core for example).

What would make sense is for a very low volume level for the default. Just so you know the thing is working. Not to mention I've4 never been alble figure out what specific controls (among the 20 or so) that I need to concern myself with. The master volume by itself was never sufficient.

Oh a related note, I've not been able to get sound working "this time around" (KDE [and GNOME] on Sid). I've turned everything up and about the only program I can get occasionally sound out of is VLC Media Player (all the standard KDE and GNOME A/V apps don't produce anything).

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com