Re: modprobe.d and post-install problem

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:28:13 +0200
"Andras Lorincz" <andras.lorincz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a tv-tuner with saa7135HL chipset and works fine with kernel version
> 2.6.15.4. When booting I want to pass the module alsa=1 option and to load
> the saa7134-alsa module also. So I took these steps:
>
>  1. created a file /etc/modprobe.d/tuner which contains this:
>
> options saa7134 alsa=1
> post-install saa7134 insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.15.4/kernel/drivers/media/video/saa7134/saa7134-alsa
>
>  2. run update-modules
>
>  3. reboot to see if these take effect
>
> The result is that the saa7134-alsa module doesn't get loaded and this
> message can be read on boot:
>
> WARNING: /etc/modprobe.d/tuner line 2: ignoring bad line starting with
> 'post-install'

I would have thought it would have complained when you ran
update-modules.

And I second the opinion that you should be looking at 'man modprobe.d'.

If you want saa7134-alsa to be loaded after saa7134 then you would need
a line looking something like:

install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134; /sbin/modprobe
saa7134-alsa

: If these modules live in your kernel lib directory and are picked up
by depmod then there should be no reason to include the path to them.

The other poster forgot, or overlooked (?) that you need
--ingore-install before the command to load the module the rule is for
to prevent a second attempt at running through the whole process.

You can look at /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base to see additional examples of
what the install lines can look like.

If you want to be able to do 'modprobe -r' to unload the modules then
you may need a remove line in addition to the install line that removes
the modules in the reverse of the order in which they were loaded.

Later, Seeker