Re: Problems with installation

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:38:47 +0100
Alex Sánchez <alex_ibiza@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite M70-165 that I bought some days ago. This machine
> came with WinXP and some Toshiba software. Then, I decided to download the
> lastest ISO stable Debian for i386, and burned it. My pretension was to
> divide my hard drive of 80Gb taking 15Gb for Win and the other for Linux. So
> I rebooted and during the installation process of debian an error said:
>
> (I'm spanish so I'm doing my best for trying to translate it to english, so
> sorry for my english)

your english is fine. :)

> "[!!]Partitioning of disks
> There are no partitionable means.
>
> Couldn't find means that can be partitionable. Please, make sure that a hard
> drive disk has been connected."
>
> Supposedly during the installation process I could partitionate manually the
> disk, but I could see that I couldn't do it. Then I searched more
> information about that topic and I then realized that I must use a software
> on win for make partitions. Then I used Partition Magic and made a partition
> for Linux with EXT2 file system (around 62gb) and little partition
> additional for that swap (1gb). Rebooted again, but my the surprise was big
> when the same error than before appeared.

probably you don't have the right drivers for the Toshiba disk controller. my advice is always to boot a knoppix disc, and if that works, then you can lsmod to see what modules it uses for the hard-drive and then boot back into the debian installer, switch to a virtual terminal and modprobe the right modules. then the partitioner should see the hard-drive.

also search the list for many links to information on installing debian on laptops.