question about my .muttrc and mutt

I have been working on debugging my print services. I have made
several posts to this list on that subject. Several of you have
suggested that this or that thing that I was complaining about worked
fine on their system. So I decided to install a fresh copy of Debian
with a view to testing in a whole new clean environment.

Now comes the details of a strange issue with mutt. Of course, I did
not wipe my system clean and install all new. What I really did was to
free up a partition that is big enough (7G) to hold a generous Debian
system, reformat it and install on that. My /home was already in a
partition by itself, and my various personal projects were in other
partitions where I could easily arrange to keep them all
untouched. And I did preserve them all and mount them in the new
installation. My original root partition became a subdirectory in
the new system. The new root directory was already accessable from
the old root as a subdirectory, but now with very different size and
contents.

At the end of yesterday evening, I had a second installation of Sarge
that contained the same software as the original. But with the same
/home. But its not so. Mutt behaves differently in the two. For
example, in one installation my posts to this list are listed as "To:
debian-user..."  and in the other they are listed as "From: pecondon
..." Why?  My reading of the man page is that mutt configuration is
all done in ~/.muttrc and that there is not a master config file in
/etc. Am I mistaken? Where is another that mutt config is stored? What
is the source of this difference in behavior?

Of course, I don't really care about such a petty detail of mutt
configuration, but it is absolute proof that I don't have control
over the configuration of my environment, and I need control if
I am ever to solve my print problems where my queries to this
list frequently get "It works for me." as a response.

I need help, please.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net