Re: How long must a bug report be ignored before I escalate?

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:12:16AM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 08:15:00AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> } Carl Fink wrote:
> } >I know Debian now has a system to report non-responsive maintainers, but I
> } >hate to jump on someone.
> } >
> } >I submitted a bug (#354079) on Stable's Squirrelmail on Wednesday.  So far
> } >the only response was the automated one from the bug tracking system.
> } >
> } >When is it apprioprate to e-mail the maintainer?  To report him?  I await
> } >etiquette advice.
> }
> } Perhaps there is something official on this, but experience proves that
> } bug reports should be just that, not attempts to achieve a timely
> } solution to a problem. That might be the result in some cases, but most
> } often it is not.
> }
> } In your case you are disputing the dependencies of a package. AFAIK that
> } might easily involve misunderstanding.
> }
> } If I were you I would build the package with the dependency that you
> } have in mind and see what happens.
> }
> } General etiquette in my mind would involve never to cast a negative
> } light on anyone, since it solves nothing and merely sows discord.
>
> Okay, different situation, same question. I submitted a wishlist bug, with
> a patch, more than eight months ago. The desired change is simple and the
> patch only alters/adds a few dozen lines in a single source file. I've
> tested the patch and it works nicely. In fact, I've been running my own
> patched package since then. Last month the maintainer released a new
> package, but it only fixed a build-deps bug.
>
> Should I send the maintainer mail? AFAICT, there is no longer any upstream,
> just the Debian package. Note that I had positive results contacting this
> maintainer directly almost two years ago when I wanted someone else's patch
> included in the same package.
>
> Package and maintainer names omitted to protect the innocent. Or guilty. Or
> whatever.
Hi Greg,
this scene is repeated often is seem umongst a few debian package maintainers:
unresponsiveness. It could mean that are just REAL life is involving
them. But what would really be great is if they could say something
like: I didn't include you patch in the next release but I will in the
future. Or, I dont plan to include it because of x,y,z. At least you
could then know what is situation is and deal with it.

I'd love folks who submit patches and know about package maintaince to
do a one-time-takeover of packages to allow stuff like this do be done.
Something like a political campaign that run on a platform to get one
hot button issue dealt with. Like this: Hi Debian folks, the maintainer
is MIA and I want to take-over the package for a day just to add my
patch and then I give it back to whoever was working on it. I would
still want it to be overseem by a Debian sponsor to make sure it doesnt
SEGFAULT or other nasty things as is standard.

It seems like if someone submits a patch, it seem that the person know
something about this programming stuff and the current maintainer should not
treat them like a newbie and ignore them as both seem to want to
improve Free software and both are working as voluneers on their own
time(althogh not always). Again, Real life can prevent an IMMEDIATE
response, but a response within a reasonable amount of time would be
appreciated.
An unresponsive maintainer can discourage folks who spend time to
submit patches to Debian from doing it again. I wouldn't want that to
happen.
Cheers,
Kev