Re: Weird modprobe problems

Sigh,

This was all my own fault. I had a file /etc/modprobe.d/local with a long list of disabled modules, that is lines like

install jbd /bin/true

I don't even quite remember why it was there, but it is probably related to mounting removable media which would try a long list of different file system types and cause a lot of warnings and slow things down. For some reason this stupid thing has never bitten me before.

Anyway, these lines were taken into account when building the initrd file, so several necessary modules were left out, resulting in an unusable initrd file.

I do feel a bit daft, but at least I'm now running linux 2.6.15 smp on my computer and it works great :-) Always look on the bright side ...

René