Re: Intel Pro/1000 MT and strange ping RTTs

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Mark Flocco wrote:
> session.  However, during times of high traffic (~8Mbps), the RTTs

8Mbits/s or 8Mbytes/s ? Anyway neither is much of a high traffic for an
e1000 on a modern host, unless you're using a very, very low MTU (and maybe
not even then).

> increase, showing stress.  Not sure if that's typical on other

I wouldn't call that stress, unless your switch is really awful.  But an RTT
increase is expected, there's now a queue to get through.  I asked because
that also increases jitter a *lot*, so it could account for what you
observed (if the pings and pongs were being priorized over the other
traffic).

> connections, but I don't see it on two other servers that I have
> running.

> NAPI is turned off.

Turn it on if the server deals with moderate/high traffic (say > 100Mbit/s
or > 1k pps).  But that will not fix the issue you have, I have NAPI on here
and I *think* I can reproduce your findings in a empty gigE to gigEsw to
gigE connection where one of the ends is an e1000.  I will know better if I
have time to check that at work.  The second gigE machine here has a crappy,
PoS NIC (Broadcom crap) that I never managed to drive over 300Mbit/s, so it
could be adding some jitter too.

  Henrique Holschuh