Re: AMD 64 X Intel 32

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 17:29 -0500, Iuri Sampaio wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have two laptops and I need to decide which one is the best. The
> best in a long term, (i.e.: quality, performance, scalability and etc)
>
> So I’d like to hear from you guys which one would be my choice
>
> Compaq AMD Athlon64 2.0GHz

Sweet

> 1GB RAM

Perfect

> 80 GB Hard Disk

Kinda small

> Video card: ATI Radeon 128mb dedicated.

Last I saw, Radeon X.org drivers were not so good.

> CD-DVD Burner

Standard

> Sony VAIO Intel 32bits 1.86ghz

Pentium-M?  If so, good.

> 1GB RAM

See above.

> 120GB HD

Better than 80GB!

> Video card: NVIDIA 128mb dedicated

This is the video card of choice for Linux.  The (closed-source)
3D driver is excellent.

> CD-DVD Burner

What will you be using it for?  "Desktop stiff", or graphics and/
or computationally intensive work?

Best is to try and find a laptop with an Athlon64 and NVIDIA graphics
chip.

Will you be wanting wireless?

If it *must* be between these two laptops:

For "desktop stuff": laptop with the NVIDIA chip, installing 32-bit
Debian, for easy compatibility with mplayer, OpenOffice.org2, Acro-
read, Macromedia Flash, etc.

For graphically intensive work: laptop with the NVIDIA chip, for
the 3D binary driver.

For computationally intensive work: the AMD64, installing 64-bit
Debian or Ubuntu.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle;
pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge
without character; business without morality; science without
humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
Mahatma Gandhi