Re: udev is ruining my life

Hello

Mitchell Laks (<mlaks@verizon.net>) wrote:

> Now we cant upgrade debian provided kernels beyond 2.6.11 without
> udev? Why is this a prerequisite?? I can install my own kernel without
> it.

Of course you can. Debian kernels (even 2.6.15) work fine without udev
and don't depend on it. What you can't do is:

1. try to make kernels >= 2.6.12 work with udev from sarge
2. install hotplug and udev at the same time (unless both is from sarge)
3. keep your hotplug configuration files around after it was removed
when your udev package gor upgraded (you are told so during udev
installation). Purge the hotplug package.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976