Re: instructions for switching to kernel 2.6 on Debian Sarge?

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:59:23 -0500
"Daniel B." <REMOVEdanielTHIS@fgm.com> wrote:

> Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > I didn't think there was much more to it than just doing a
> > 	apt-get intall kernel-image-2.6.8
>
> Actually, there is (or sure seems to be).
>
> As I mentioned, the documentation that I found did warn me that my
> mouse device (/dev/psaux) would change (and therefore gpm and X might
> break), but the device the documentation said the mouse would change
> to (/dev/input/mouse...) doesn't exist, and the documentation didn't
> say anything about what one needs to do to get it to exist (install
> packages?  run a new equivalent of MAKEDEV?  mount /sys or similar?).

udev will take care of that. Just install the kernel (and don't uninstall the 2.4). If something doesn't work, you can still boot with 2.4 and research. If X won't start, the first thing to try is 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' (assuming you have XFree86).

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)