Re: Debian equivalent to service?

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:44:45PM -0500, Jerry Quinn wrote:
} Kevin Mark wrote:
[...]
} >on debian there are a few redhatism that have not been created: this is
} >one of them. here are a few:
} >1) rh has runlevels with special meanings, debian makes 2-5 the same
} >with 2 being the default with no special network/x/etc meaning
}
} These distinctions (at least 3 and 5) are actually useful when debugging
} problems with your X config.  It just saves a step on some activity.
}
} On debian, I have to kill gdm, fiddle, and restart it.

There is nothing to stop you from making the runlevels behave differently.
Indeed, I use levels 2 and 3 differently on both my server (few services
run until I've mounted my encrypted disks, at which point I switch to
runlevel 3) and my laptop (I want to choose between booting to console or
booting to kdm, depending on whether I'm bringing it up for something quick
and textual or for a real session, when I'm not using suspend/resume).

} >2) no 'service ....'instead we use /etc/init.d/service
} >start/stop/restart and AFAICT no 'status'
}
} Running both systems, status is another feature that's very useful.

As has been mentioned in this thread, the sysvconfig package supplies the
service script, which may or may not provide the same features (I dunno, I
don't use it), such as status.

} >3) no tool like the runlevel/services editor in rh. the tools are there
} >but they dont do it the rh way
}
} What are the "official" debian tools for doing this stuff?  I use wajig
} for starting and stopping services manually.  It's very useful, though
} hardly a "standard" tool.

I uses sysv-rc-conf to manage what starts at what runlevel. For starting
and stopping, though, I really do use the /etc/init.d/<service> scripts.

} Having default startup numbers in the init scripts is handy at times as
} well.

I don't know what you mean by this.

} I usually find redhat's stuff easier to configure.  On the other hand, the
} debian package repository is second to none, which is why I run it.

I found redhat's sysadmin tools infuriating, particularly when I didn't
feel like running X. To each his own.

} Jerry Quinn
--Greg