Re: vi trying to connect to X

on Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 05:08:15PM -0600, Anthony Simonelli (asimonelli7@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hi there.  I'm tried to get used to vi as an editor since it is found on
> nearly every Unix and Unix-like system and I've heard that those who are
> proficient at it are able to edit files faster than using any other editor.
>
> I'm running KDE and use Konsole but everytime I invoke vi from Konsole, I get
> the following:

> Xlib: No protocol specified

> Xlib: No protocol specified

> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> It appears that it is trying to connect to the X server?  Why is that and how
> do I fix it?

You've apparently got the gvim variant of vim installed, and it may be
doing stupid things presuming it's got an X display active.

Try:

   unset DISPLAY
   vi foo

... and see if that resolves the issue.  If it doesn't, post the output
of

   'dpkg --get-selections | grep ^vi'

... which should show what version(s) of vi(s) you have install.

Hrm.... Would that be a word to the vi(s)?

... nevermind.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.
		        SCO vs IBM Linux lawsuit info:  http://sco.iwethey.org