Re: upgrade screwed up my network.

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 22:30, Sean J. Fraley wrote:
> Earlier tonight, I ran an upgrade with aptitude, and my network
> configuration started acting weird.  Previously, I had set eth0 up to
> use a static IP of 192.168.15.10 with the household router's IP of
> 192.168.15.1 as the gateway and nameserver.  This had been working
> fine for months.  After the upgrade today, ifconfig lists the
> following for eth0:
>
>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:5A:88:A5:54
>          inet addr:169.254.246.208  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.0.0
>          inet6 addr: fe80::204:5aff:fe88:a554/64 Scope:Link
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:925 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:1071 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>          RX bytes:220593 (215.4 KiB)  TX bytes:82583 (80.6 KiB)
>          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00
>
>Web browsing and e-mail work fine, but accessign other systems on the
> LAN does not.  If I run "/etc/init.d/networking restart" the original
> static IP of 192.168.15.1 gets set and LAN access works, but web
> browsing and e-mail do not.  Can anyone tell me what is going on, and
> how do I fix it?

It sounds as if the eth0 script in /etc/networks got munged and dhcp
turned on.  Lemme see if I can find it on one of my debian based boxes.

Yup, /etc/network/interfaces, here is the file I use to set everything
static, model yours after this by replaceing the xx.#'s:
--------
shop:/etc/network# cat interfaces
-----------files contents-------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.xx.4
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.xx.1
-------------------------
and restart the network.  Ifconfig should be happy and the network
should work.  As further info, my gateway box has its gateway setting
as the router, there are two cards in that box with iptables between
them doing the subnet natting and forwarding. And my router does the
PPPoE to a dsl modem.  Its been VERY secure that way for the last 3
years.

Three taps on the door made it to the logs, 2 of which got in because
they came from a known address, vz's primary dns server, which had
become infected with the latest windows worm du jour.  The third one
from someplace in china was dropped on the floor by portsentry before
he could warm his knuckles up for a second rap on the door, just as the
dns servers got dropped.  My clue was that I could see dns queries
going out, and the reply coming back, but I never got the info.  Undo
the deny that portsentry had installed each time and all was well
again.

I sleep well at night. :)

--
Cheers, Gene