Re: Unsure about security requirements for workstation/server

Thanks Oliver.

I didn't know about shorewall, so it's good that you recommended it.

I should have mentioned that I already use a router, built in to my ADSL modem, so as far as incoming connections go I have to explicitly set up those ports on my ADSL modem/router (so I will have to forward ports 80 etc. to my Debian machine).

I suppose shorewall will be useful for monitoring/blocking outgoing connections.

I'm not a security expect by any means, so I guess my concern is that by having Testing or Unstable installed, with lots of software not normally used on a server, and by having Apache and other services open to the net, that someone with malicious intent on the net could exploit a hole somewhere that I'm not aware of.

Thanks,
Yasir