Re: VMPlayer installation problems

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:03:51 -0800
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install the vmplayer.  I DL'd the tarball from the
> vmware site and untarred it into my home directory.  I then ran the
> install script which seemed to work fine until it needed to find a
> suitable vmmon...
> ----------------------------------
<SNIP>
> Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "3.3.4", while you are
> trying to use
> "/usr/bin/gcc-3.3" version "3.3.5". This configuration is not
> recommended and
> VMware Player may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly
> same compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go
> with compiler
> "/usr/bin/gcc-3.3" version "3.3.5" anyway? [no]
<SNIP>

> I am running a debian stock kernel-images-2.6.7-2-k7 under Sarge.
>
> Has anyone gotten vmplayer to install under Sarge?
> Using stock vmware modules?
> Using a stock debian kernel?
> Which kernel?

I am running VMware on Sid at the moment, but I have installed and run
it on Sarge in the past.

The difference between GCC 3.3.4 and 3.3.5 is minor enough that you
should be able to compile the needed module. Make sure you have
kernel-headers-2.6.7-2-k7 installed. When that error warning comes up
during the install type yes instead of the default no.

Note that this would not be the case if your kernel was compiled with
GCC 3.3.4 and you were trying to use GCC 4.0.3 to compile the module.

--
Bill Thompson
BillT@Mahagonny.com