gmail as smarthost in exim

I just struggled through getting exim setup to use gmail as a
smarthost.  Since I had a hard time finding the instructions I needed,
I thought I'd add them here to save someone else some time.  Simply
adding:

     smtp.gmail.com : drberg1000@gmail.com : passwd

to /etc/exim4/passwd.client as the docs say didn't work.

After digging on the internet I found somebody's suggestion to add a
second line:

     gmail-smtp.l.google.com : drberg1000@gmail.com: passwd

to /etc/exim4/passwd.client.

Anyway if you want the step by step:

set smtp.gmail.com as the smarthost by either running
'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' or setting
dc_smarthost='smtp.gmail.com' in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.

add the lines:
     smtp.gmail.com : drberg1000@gmail.com : passwd
     gmail-smtp.l.google.com : drberg1000@gmail.com: passwd
to /etc/exim4/passwd.client

One might beable to just use the gmail-smtp.l.google.com server as the
smarthost and follow the directions in the documentation but I didn't
try that.

Hope this helps.

--Dave