Re: software RAID on mixed drive types (SATA/IDE)

Cameron Dale,

> I was thinking of getting another disk and starting to use software
> RAID (levels 1 and 5). I have 2 IDE disks on my 2 IDE buses, but my
> motherboard also has 2 empty SATA connectors. I know putting more than
> 1 RAID drive on a single IDE bus is not recommended, so I was thinking
> of getting a SATA drive and using that for the RAID array. I can't
> find any discussion on whether this is possible or not recommended or
> what. So, here are my questions:
>
> 1. Can raid devices be of different types (i.e. /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb1,
> and /dev/sda1)?

Yes. md uses block-devices independently of underlying implementation.

> 2. Has anyone done this?

Probably... =)

> 3. How would this affect performance?

Depends on the speed-characteristics of the underlying hardware and the
characteristics of file operations your are going to perform. (Many
small reads/writes vs large reads/writes.) On PATA/SATA the difference
should'nt be that huge anyhow.

> 4. Would it be better or worse than putting 2 IDE devices on one IDE
> bus (master/slave like)?

In case of drive failure, both disks will become unavailable in the case
of 2 IDES on a single IDE channel.

In your case: Get some SATA-drives, plug them in and make RAID. :)

--
regards,

Christopher Pharo Glæserud