Re: Sharing a directory

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 11:10:33AM +1100, Jonathan Wheelhouse wrote:
>>
>>Got a question re UNIX permissions: I've got a directory, photos, in my
>>home directory, that I want the wife and kids to put digital photos.

> I'm not sure I understand you, I was under the impression that subdirs
> created under a dir with sgid bit set would inherit the group with the
> sgid bit set:

That's my understanding, too.  In fact, that is what happens - the
sub-directories my family can create do have the 'photo' group; this
is what I want.  However, the files they put in the created
sub-directory only allow them access.  eg In a directory created by
trinity:
    drwxr-sr-x 2 trinity photo 1392 2006-01-28 08:23 2006-01-15
there are files that have these permissions.
    -rwx------ 1 trinity trinity 409387 2006-01-26 17:38 PICT0871.JPG

What I would like to happen for files that are put in this
sub-directory is that the group for these files is 'photo' so that
people in this group have access to those files.

> Anything more complicated you might need can probably be solved using
> ACLs (e.g. if users use different umasks).

OK, I'll check ACLs out.

--
Jonathan