Re: xterm not dealing with long lines of typing correctly

Richard Lyons wrote:

On Wednesday, 25 January 2006 at 10:19:52 -0600, Andrew Nelson wrote:

Hello all,

Recently I've noticed my xterm's doesn't seem to be handling line wrapping of
commands correctly.  Instead of wrapping to a new line the characters start
wrapping back on the current line.

I've noticed this intermittently over a long time.  I note that resizing
the window -- enlarging it  by a minute amount -- seems to overcome the
problem when it occurs.

Yeah, that sounds like a bash problem.  In some cases, if I re-size a
window while a foreground command is executing, then if I edit a command
line that's long enough to wrap, bash doesn't seem to know about the
new window size (it wraps wrong).

Re-sizing the window again while bash is prompting for a command
(e.g., when I am editing a command line) reliably fixes the problem.

(I wonder exactly how bash deals with WINCH (window size changed) signals.
The executing foreground command does get the WINCH signal.  (I can run
something like "watch" and resize the window and on the next update watch
will adjust to the new window size.)

My impression (possibly wrong) is that bash initially gets the WINCH signal
and then forwards/repeats it to the foreground command.  If that's true,
I'm surprised that bash doesn't take note of the signal and the new window
size (and that behavior would seem to be a bash bug).

Of course, if the original WINCH signal is sent directly to the foreground
command and bash never sees it, then that would explain things and there
might be nothing that bash could do to notice the new window size
(efficiently).)

Daniel