Re: any Libretto 100/110CT users out there?

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:20:31PM +0100, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > Kernel build finally completed - apparently sucessfully, though I
> > havn't tried booting into it yet... so I have now tried a reboot...
>
> How did you compile? What version? What .config?

As a first pass I just wanted to reproduce the installed kernel:
       apt-get install kernel-tree-2.6.8
       apt-get install pcmcia-source
       cd /usr/src
       tar jxf kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2
       cd kernel-source-2.6.8
       cp /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386 .config
       make-kpkg clean
       make-kpkg --revision=libretto.1.0 kernel_image.
this is where I am up to, the rest I have yet to try ->
       make-kpkg modules_image
       dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.6.8-386_libretto.1.0_i386.deb
       dpkg -i ../modules-imageXX.deb
       shutdown -r now

> >   Module                  Size  Used by
> > .  toshiba                 1976  0
>
> Toshiba's (non-acpi) driver for bios access.

I would like to know more about this, but maybe later...

> >    snd_mixer_oss           9728  0
> > .  snd_opl3sa2             4512  0
>
> Necessary! This is the module which would get loaded with the
> /etc/modules entry and is the main driver.

Yep - it seems to try, but bails out declaring an absence of
hardwatr :-(

> > I have highlighted the modules which are are at variance on the
> > two systems. Here are my modules again, with the ones you don't list
> > highlighted:
> >
> >    snd_timer              23300  3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
> > .  snd                    50660  11
>
> This one is the main alsa sound support, which is compiled into the
> kernel here (no module), but shouldn't matter too much.

Hmm, I wonder if it makes a difference?

> > snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd
> > _seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> .  soundcore              9824  1 snd
>
> Like the above, but _general_ kernel sound support. Titto: compiled in
> here.

Do you recall if you have had sound working on a non-customised
kernel? 2.6?

> > There seem to be two drivers in the source tree:
> > 	#    locate opl3sa2|grep .c$
>
> You can find the modules to your kernel in /lib/modules/<version> -- it
> depends on what you have configured, while looking into the source will
> show you also not compiled things.
>
> > 	/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/sound/isa/opl3sa2.c
> > 	/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8/sound/isa/snd-opl3sa2.mod.c
>
> This one is what you need. If you have compiled your kernel with oss
> support (it's depricated, since alsa is used) leave it out.

It seems to have been included in the distributed binary:
	$ grep OSS /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386
	CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
	CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
	CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
	CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
	CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
	CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
I suppose the module wouldn't be there if it hadn't ;)

> > As a final test, I tried a manual load, and get:
> >  # modprobe snd-opl3sa2 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5 midi_port=0x330
> >  # fm_port=0x388 wss_port=0x530 sb_port=0x220 port=0x370
> >  # opl3sa3_ymode=3
> >  FATAL: Error inserting snd_opl3sa2
> >  (/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-386/kernel/sound/isa/snd-opl3sa2.ko): No such
> >  device FATAL: Error running install command for snd_opl3sa2
>
> Are you sure you want load modules from this directory? This looks like
> the path to a precompiled kernel (not the one you just compiled). Again,
> how have you compiled/installed the kernel? Let's start there.

Oh, I am still runing the pre-compiled kernel - I would much
rather start customizing a fully functional kernel if at all
possible - so at least I know that my problems arn't the result
of my mucking up the build process...

> > Glancing at the source, it seems that the following is failing:
> >         int dev, cards = 0;
> >
> >         for (dev = 0; dev < SNDRV_CARDS; dev++) {
> >                 if (!enable[dev])
> >                         continue;
> > 	#ifdef CONFIG_PNP
> >                 if (isapnp[dev])
> >                         continue;
> > 	#endif
> >                 if (snd_opl3sa2_probe(dev, NULL, NULL) >= 0)
> >                         cards++;
> >         }
> > 	#ifdef CONFIG_PNP
> >         cards += pnp_register_card_driver(&opl3sa2_pnpc_driver);
> > 	#endif
> > with 'cards' left as zero. It also seems to be compiled
> > with 'CONFIG_PNP' set.
>
> Forget about this.

You have no sense of adventure...

I am quite tempted to stick a diagnostic into snd_opl3sa2_probe()
to find out if it ever gets called - but I have to verify that
I can do a successful build first..

> > Any ideas?
>
> Compare the .config from your kernel source dir with the one I send in
> an earlier post. Configure your kernel the (nearly) same way.
>
> Compile the kernel with "make-kpkg --revision=yours.001 kernel_image".
> Install the kernel-image-bla-yours.001.deb with dpkg -i <>.
> That's the dabian-way doing this.

I suppose I am getting near the point of having to resort to kernel
re-builds to overcome this problem..

I might have a quick look at the 2.4 kernel first - if I can at least
get the audio working there, I will at least be able to commit to Debian
and reduce the problem to one of kernel upgrade rather than kernel
and distro change...

But I am still wrestling with trying to get PCMCIA going on the 2.4,
which is an even more fundamental requirement...

I posted separately with what I found there....

Thanks for all the advice - it is very reassuring to know that
you have gotten it working, and hence that it is possible...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com