Kernel compilation

Hi all

For some reason I seem to be getting the following message when type make menuconfig

scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:91: error: static declaration of 'current_menu' follows non-static declaration
scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:63: error: previous declaration of 'current_menu' was here
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
ukgate:/usr/src/linux#

I have ncurses installed etc

abc:/usr/src/linux# dpkg -l | grep -i ncur*
ii  libncurses5              5.5-1                      Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libncurses5-dev          5.5-1                      Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses
ii  libncursesw5             5.5-1                      Shared libraries for terminal handling (wide
ii  mtr-tiny                 0.69-2                     Full screen ncurses traceroute tool
ii  ncurses-base             5.5-1                      Descriptions of common terminal types
ii  ncurses-bin              5.5-1                      Terminal-related programs and man pages
ii  ncurses-term             5.5-1                      Additional terminal type definitions
abc:/usr/src/linux#

The only thing that I dont have installed is libqt3-mt-dev.

What I require is a very minimalisc installation.

If anyone could assist, I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark