Re: recipe for kernel build...

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:06:51PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> Great, that was the clue I needed - thanks!
>
> So how does this look as a recipe for rebuilding my 2.6.8-2-386
> kernel from source:
> 	apt-get install kernel-tree-2.6.8
> 	apt-get install pcmcia-source
> 	cd /usr/src
> 	tar jxf kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2
> 	tar -xvzf pcmcia-cs.tar.gz
> 	cd kernel-source-2.6.8
> 	cp /boot/config-2.6.8-2-386 .config
> 	make-kpkg clean
> 	make-kpkg --revision=libretto.1.0 kernel_image.
> this is where I am up to at the moment.... still building so
> the rest is untested...
> 	make-kpkg modules_image
> 	dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.6.8-386_libretto.1.0_i386.deb
> 	dpkg -i ../modules-imageXX.deb
> 	shutdown -r now
>
> Let me know if I have overlooked anything..
>
> If it all works, I can just

Do you use grub to boot?  If so, use update-grub to set up your
/boot/menu.lst, then if things fall apart in testing new kernels, your
reboot out of the mess can take you back to a safe kernel...

You can also get this working for you by updating /etc/kernel-img.conf
so it happens automatically.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,