Re: Kernel compile fails.

Alejandro Bonilla Beeche wrote:

I have a box with Sid with the latest upgrades, (almost cause dist-upgrade wants to remove a lot of stuff)

Anyway, fact is that I can't compile any kernel on the Linus tree. This, for more than a month.

Could anyone please help me find out which package is the broken one? /bin/sh in Bash.

2.6.16-rc1 has a bug that trashes /dev/null and is the cause for this error. Recreate /dev/null and compile it as a non-root user. LKML people seem to be aware of this, so it likely to be fixed in the future release (2.6.16-rc1-git4 is still affected). I also learned the lesson the hard way by forgetting to exit root before compiling. Oh well...

Other than that, 2.6.16-rc1 works fine, but may break iptables on some systems (also a known bug).