Sarge goes into a time warp (literally)

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a showstopper here. I'm runnind Debian Sarge on an IBM x305 (1U server chassis). Its primary function is to serve as an apt-mirror for the company; it also runs instances of apache and apache-ssl, mysql, and a few other packages. It's booting from a software mirror managed by mdadm.

I've had a huge problem with this server for the past week; over the course of about 2 days, eventually time will stop incrementing by more than 4 seconds before resetting, while load goes through the roof and the system eventually grinds to a halt.

For example, I came in this morning and found that the server was unresponsive. I logged in and ran this:

#!/bin/bash
while [ /bin/true ]; do
date
sleep 1
done

and the date output looked like this:

Thu Jan 25 15:37:41 CST 2006
Thu Jan 25 15:37:42 CST 2006
Thu Jan 25 15:37:43 CST 2006
Thu Jan 25 15:37:44 CST 2006
Thu Jan 25 15:37:45 CST 2006
Thu Jan 25 15:37:41 CST 2006

This continued repeatedly. Some time yesterday and internal clock just up and decided to stop counting?!?

I've tried this with and without ntpd running * same result.

As per the norm, I checked top and found no processes using more than .3% CPU. 468/512MB RAM in use; no swapping. The current load had spiked from .03 to 2.5 in the course of about 5 minutes.

The server is current and stock on everything but the latest security release for the kernel; I've been holding the kernal back but am strongly considering upgrading.

Anyone have any ideas? How about a better place than "top" to check for rogue processes?

Thanks,
Ryan

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous

email messages attached to it may contain information that is

confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended

printing, distributing or use of this transmission is strictly

prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,

please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return

email and delete the original transmission and its attachments

without reading or saving in any manner.

The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society.