Re: DVD burner optimization (or how to avoid crappy burns)

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Eric P wrote:

> I've been burning for about a year with my ultra cheapy
> MicroAdvantage DVD burner.
>
> It seems to work, but I've noticed on a majority of the disks I've
> burned, somewhere midway in the disc it'll kinda crap out and show
> compression artifacts, get jerky for a few moments (usually under 30
> seconds), and just plain be a nuisance.  This will usually affect
> only around a 5% time duration of the video if that.  Ie., I can
> usually still watch the DVD.  It's just annoying though.
[ ... ]
> Anyway, my question is: are there any other ways I can adjust my
> system/burn process to prevent artifacts, etc. from creep onto the
> DVD?  Would 'hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd' maybe help?  Or maybe using 'nice'?

Odds are it isn't your burner, it's your DVD player.  If the DVD plays back
on your PC without problems then the data are fine -- what's happening is
your DVD player is having problems with the DVD-R (+R, -R/W, blah...)
media.  I presume it is due to the different reflectivity and/or lower
tolerances of the consumer writeable DVD media relative to that of
commercial DVDs.  Older DVD players seem to have more problems than newer
models.

Some people have found that switching to a different brand of DVD media
solves the problem with their player.  YMMV.  (I gave up and just use my
DVD burner for data now.  I consider it an incentive to get off my ass and
build a mythTV box :-)

-- Brad