Re: Newbie questions: kernel upgrade & sound

On (21/01/06 17:22), Koos van der Merwe wrote:
> I recently aquired a new motherboard (Jetway ATi Radeon Xpress 200)
> with onboard sound), new CPU (AMD64) and new graphics card (nVidia
> geForce). I previously preferred Knoppix because of its good hardware
> detection, but this time it let me down and I was without sound. Enter
> Debian... I installed from the "network installation ISO" Debian
> stable and everything works fine except for the sound.
>
> PROBLEM STATEMENT:
>
> On Windows I installed the ALC880 driver that came with the
> motherboard and it works. Googled, found a linux driver at
> www.opendrivers.com. Tried to install it: It seems it is
> alsa-driver-1.0.4 . It won't compile...
> make[3]: *** [/usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.4/kbuild/../pci/via82xx.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [/usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.4/kbuild/../pci] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/alsa-driver-1.0.4/kbuild] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386'
> make: *** [compile] Error 2
>
> Googled: apparently some ALC880 problems in alsa-driver-1.0.9 were
> only fixed in alsa-driver-1.0.10
> (http://www.alsa-project.org/changes/v1-0-9--v1-0-10.txt). Moreover,
> there seems to be problems with the alsa-driver and kernels older than
> 2.6.15. But apt (&Synaptic) can't find a kernel 2.6.15! I would like
> not to break the current system, as I already installed most of the
> programs I want (games excluded because of the lack of sound). And the
> current kernel 2.6.8-2 is working just fine for everything else. I
> would like to stay with sarge, because of the stability. I added
> testing (and unstable) to sources.list and created
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1. Is there any problems with the stability of the newer kernels? Why
> is it not included in sarge?
New kernels aren't added to the stable release; recent kernels have to
be recompiled for sarge

> 2. Do I need to compile a new kernel or is it possible to just apt-get
> install a new kernel version? Will doing  this have any effect on the
> rest of the system? (I.e. will I still have a Debian stable version at
> the end of the day?)

It may be daunting but compiling your own kernel is not that difficult,
check out:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

> 3. I it possible to just add the new kernel and still keep the
> "official" current kernel as an option in GRUB? How? (Links to
> how-to's?)
You may break your system; the latest kernel, I could get to work on
sarge is 2.6.12 (from etch)

> 4. Isn't there some kind of wrapper module that one can use to just
> wrap around the Windows drivers provided by the hardware
> manufacturers?
Beyond my level of knowledge, I'm afraid but I guess it's doable

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...