Re: autofs timeouts no longer working?

Hi, again!

As sometimes happens, soon after I posted my help request, I found the
answer!  It turns out that 'gkrellmd' was using the statfs() call
periodically on all of the mounted filesystems: this activity meant the
kernel would never expire those mounts (like my cd) under autofs.

lsof did not catch this, since the statfs() is so brief.

To find the cause, I went into single-user mode (telinit 1) and killed any
daemon I did not recognise.  I then started the autofs daemons
(/etc/init.d/autofs start) and tested to see if the automount was
expiring... it was!  So one of the other daemons on my runlevel were
causing the problem.  I went through the first few daemons in /etc/rc5.d/
until I found that the problem came back with gkrellmd.

Solution 1: disable gkrellmd ... quick fix.

Solution 2: I patched gkrellmd to ignore non-NFS sub-mounts of autofs mounts.
   Works well, small patch, but I'll have to clean it a bit before
   submitting it to the bug-tracker.

Hope this helps someone else with similar problems!