Re: cordless mice with USB connected base units

On 1/20/06, Britton Kerin <bkerin@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Do cordless non-bluetooth mice need weird drivers?
> Can I take a USB only cordless mouse with a base
> charger unit, plug it into some kind of USB_to_ps2
> adaptor plug, plug that into the connector where
> my PS2 mouse currently lives, and just be happy?
>
> I'm thinking about buying a cordless mouse, but I'm
> a bit scared of it.  If it needs weird drivers its
> probably not worth the hassle.

You shouldn't need any special drivers.  I have a laser pointer/USB
mouse.  I've had mixed results with it through the PS2 converter and
plugged in directly as a USB device, but I eventually got it working
reliably with gpm.  That device is both a mouse and a keyboard,
though, and the latter seemed to take precedence in the automatic
configuration.

Basically, any mouse you're likely to buy (PS2, USB, corded/cordless)
is probably compliant with the IMPS/2 protocol.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh