firefox printing: extraneous printers, removing xprint and dependencies

Greetings list

I have several extraneous printers in my Firefox (1.07) print dialog in my pure sid system. They each end @:64  (such as hppsc1200@:64). The archives at

suggest this is caused by Xprint being installed. I really don't care that these printers exist, except that they don't work correctly. I normally print with CUPS but the CUPS printers are not the default forcing me to manually select them each time :-(

Okay, so, per the thread referenced above,

sudo apt-get --purge remove xprint

causes the always scary "other packages to be removed: x-window-system" etc etc etc. I'm pretty sure this is a meta-package and is not critical, especially as the whole operation will only free up about 4500k of disc space, which seems small to me for the entire x-window-system to be heading for the bin.

So my questions:
1) are my assumptions regarding the meta-package correct? That is, I may break the meta-package, but not impact the underlying actual packages.
2) seeing as I'm pretty sure I don't actually use xprint, are there any reasons for keeping it around tht I might not be aware of? Such as, "its better than cups" or the like. the xprint website, while extensive couldn't really answer this fundamental question for me.

thanks for your input.

Andrew