Mutt & Exim4 Setup Problem Solved

On the 9th Sridar M. A. wrote (in a message I printed out but erased):

"The passwd_client seems to be Debian specific but it did not work. I edited /etc/exim4/conf.d/30_exim4-config_examples to include the login id and password. Just including below the relevant section:

plain:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
  client_send = ^user@mylog.org^secret
#.ifndef . . .
.
.
.
#.endif"

I tried this at the time without success not realizing that his choice of file to edit was appropriate when using a split configuration. After floudering around wildly and asking a lot of dumb questions it finally dawned on me that I was not using a split configuration. Accordingly I went to /etc/exim4, ran grep -n plain: exim4.conf.template, used vi to edit at the line number adding a line client_send = ^our_user_name@verizon.net^our_password and commenting out all the lines of the if statement, and then ran update-exim4.conf. After this mail from Mutt was sent with no problem.

Of course, this hack does not solve the problem with the Debian script. I am working at learning bash scripting and may study that if statement as part of my education but not yet. In the meantime sending mail from Mutt works but I have become increasingly comfortable in working from Mozilla.

Tom George

As my old physics professor said of experimental physicists: "Dumb but plodders"