Re: gtk-gnutella

Anand Kumria wrote:
Hi,

If you are using gtk-gnutella in Debian stable you may be aware that the
program is no longer functional.  Worse you'll be actively performing an
active on other participants on the network.

While I won't point out the futility of shipping stable but non-functional software, I'll instead try to explain how you can obtain a version that *is* functional.

I was hoping to be able to point most Debian users to prebuilt binaries,
but there exists no facility within Debian that allows for updates to a
package in stable in order to keep it functional.

Instead, please follow these instructions:

mkdir ~/gtk-gnutella
cd ~/gtk-gnutella
(as root): apt-get install build-essential
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella_0.96b.orig.tar.gz
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella_0.96b-1.diff.gz
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/g/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella_0.96b-1.dsc
dpkg-source gtk-gnutella_0.96b-1.dsc
cd gtk-gnutella-0.96b
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

The last step may fail and complain about a number of other packages you
need to install, if so, '(as root) apt-get install <packages>' and then
try again.

At the end you should have a viable gtk-gnutella servent which no longer
damages the network and also provides you with increased functionality (IPv6 access) and security (TLS).

Good show. I am compiling the source to get it working.