Re: system requirements for debian

Bob Hynes wrote Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:58:18 -0600 (CST):

> I have debian running on a 500Mhz box with 256MB ram. It's pretty
> slow...slower than windows would be. Is there anyone who know what I
> could be doing to speed things up? turning off services, adding ram? I'm
> also considering tying another version of Linux, but maybe this box is
> just too slow at 500Mhz?

I have Etch on a K6/2 550 with 256M and KDE. It doesn't seem
particularly slow to me for that speed, but I have found that K6/2s seem
slower at any given MHz than slot 1s. What chipset is on your
motherboard? What's your FSB? What's your video card?
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409