Re: How to disable this PPP message

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:34:46PM -0800, Lewis Carroll wrote:
>  Hi Folks,

Hi,

> How do I disable the following messages? These aren't doing me much good; I'm getting more info about blocked packets from Firestarter.
>
> Jan 17 15:14:04 epiktistes kernel: Inbound IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=xx.xx.65.241 DST=xx.xx.xx.81 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=127 ID=41539 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=2392 DPT=445 WINDOW=8760 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
>
> Cheers,
> jec

That looks like a LOG rule from the iptables. Have you set up the
iptables?

If you want to delete the LOG rules from the iptables, you need to
find out the line numbers of the rules and delete them. If you know the
exact rules, you can use the exact rules to delete them.

Looks like that rule is in the INPUT chain, so

$ sudo iptables -n --line-numbers -L INPUT

gives you the line numbers of all the rules in the INPUT chain.

To delete the LOG target, take its line number n and

$ sudo iptables -D INPUT n

If you want to change where the message shows, instead of deleting it
totally, you can change the log level to something else and/or tweak the
/etc/syslog.conf

$ sudo iptables -R INPUT n -j LOG --log-level level --log-prefix "Inbound "

where n is the line number and level is the log level. Don't forget to
use any other options you might have set for that rule (like -m limit
etc.)

See man syslog.conf and man iptables for more details.

HTH,
Simo
--
:r ~/.signature