Re: renice equivalent for network traffic

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:57:07AM -0600, David Berg wrote:
> How can I set upgrade or backup traffic to the back burner so that web
> browsing or audio streams don't suffer?  Basically a renice equivalent
> for network traffic.
>
> A man page or proper search terms is sufficient, I just can't seem to
> come up with appropriate terms.

  It depends how you're doing the backups.  If you're using rsync
 over ssh you might want to use the '--bwlimit=xxx' option.

  If you're using something else you might be interested in the
 `trickle` package:

 Trickle is a voluntary, cooperative bandwidth shaper. it works
 entirely in userland and is very easy to use.
 .
 The most simple application is to limit the bandwidth usage of
 programs.

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.