Re: How to show iowait in top?

Bart wrote:
> On my debian box, which is running sarge, top does not display the
> iowait in the cpu states. Various posts on the net however, indicate
> that it should be possible. And yes, iostat also gives me the iowait,
> but i'd like to monitor it all the time in top.
>
> So what should be done to show iowait? I'm I missing a toggle somewhere
> or do i need a certain version of top?

I look at the top source code and my guess is that for 2.4 kernels the
iowait is suppressed. For kernels 2.5 and up it should show iowait.

So that leaves me two options: either hack and recompile top (dunno if
i can make that work) or install a 2.6 kernel, but that leaves me with
an udev problem in Sarge (udev > 071 not available in sarge).

Regards,
Bart