Re: PostgreSQL on Etch...

Eric Scott wrote:
>     Yo; Got a new server (testing) setup.  While I was reinstalling my
> server I made the move from sarge to etch... not sure if that's what
> cause this or not.
>
>     My PostgreSQL-7.4 is acting up.  I'm pretty much a novice at all
> this, and don't know where to start to trouble shoot.  The service is
> running, and webmin/pgsql, however they access it, administer it fine.
> However when I try to access it via a TCP connection (Yes, port 5432 is
> open in my firewall; I've tried accessing it with an ASP web service and
> pgaccess to no avail), I get "connection refused."  It's pretty much the
> stock installation, from "apt-get install postgresql"; I've done nothing
> to it that I remember 'cept restore a database backup and edit user
> accounts.  "netstat -a | grep tcp" doesn't seem to show it listening,
> though it may run under xinetd or something by default, I don't know.
>
>     Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>      Cheerio,
>        SigmaX

You can try
   ps -ax|grep post
to look for the postmaster proccess. If you can't find it then something
is wrong with the daemon start up.
If you can see it, then you must check
 /etc/postgresql/7.4/main/pg_hba.conf
and verify that you have the right set of permissions for the machine
that is making the connection.
for example, in my own machine I have:

local ssa ssa   password
host ssa ssa 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255   password
host ssa ssa 192.168.1.34 255.255.255.255   password

this way the server can accept local concections and network connections
from the same machine and from the machine with IP 192.168.1.34 to
database ssa with user ssa.

You can also check
 /etc/postgresql/7.4/main/postgresql.conf

and look for the line

tcpip_socket = true

Regards,
Miguel