after madwifi install/upgrades, can't make config kernel

Title: Message
I've been trying to get my DWL-G510 Wifi card running. I've tried ndiswrapper with no success, and am now trying to get madwifi working.

I am running Debian 3.1r1 and I added
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
to my /etc/apt/sources.list so I could install madwifi.

I installed kernel-source-2.6.8  (uncompressed it, untarred it and set the symlink accordingly. )

When I installed madwifi-source, it installed and upgraded many other packages.

Now when I try to do a make config, or make menuconfig I get the following:

cd /usr/src/linux/
make config
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:91: error: static declaration of 'current_menu' follows non-static declaration
scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:63: error: previous declaration of 'current_menu' was here
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
make: *** [config] Error 2

I don't think this is really an error I should get and suspect an environment problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed