LILO with root-raid nightmare - please help.

Hello,

I've replaced a failed disk in my raid 1 setup. I replaced the disk (hda on-board ide), however the system then hung on reboot, this was because hda, being blank, had no MBR. The second disk (hde) is plugged into a promise ide card. So I went into the bios and set it to boot off the promise card first. Reboot when fine. I partitioned the new disk and added it to the array.

Then I tried to run lilo. Both disks need a valid mbr if I'm to be able to boot in the event of a failed disk (the raid-extra-boot line in lilo.conf). However this is what lilo said:

LILO version 22.6.1 (test mode), Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2004 John Coffman
Released 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 12:32:32 on May 25 2005
Debian GNU/Linux

Warning: Kernel & BIOS return differing head/sector geometries for device 0x80
   Kernel: 13872 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors
     BIOS: 1023 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors
Using BIOS device code 0x80 for RAID boot blocks
Reading boot sector from /dev/md1
Fatal: Filesystem would be destroyed by LILO boot sector: /dev/md1

I believe the "Warning" line may be my bios switching the drive addresses in order to boot off the promise card (is this correct?). However I can't switch things back until I have a valid mbr on hda. I've no idea what the "Fatal:" line means. md1 is the boot partition made up of hda1 and hde1. My lilo.conf is as follows:

lba32
boot=/dev/md1
raid-extra-boot=/dev/hda,/dev/hde
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=120
vga=normal
default=RAID

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24.raidserver1
       label=RAID
       read-only
       root=/dev/md3

Is it safe to just put the disk with a valid mbr (hde) onto the on-board controller? This would appear to be a simple way around the issue but I'm not sure if this would break the array in some other way.

Any help solving this would be much appreciated.

regards,

drbob