From: Juergen Fiedler [mailto:juergen@fiedlerfamily.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:06 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: New install->Broken X->modprobe mousedev->now X Works, but
no mouse

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 03:17:24PM -0700, Ed Young wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> It's a standard PS/2 mouse with a scroll wheel.
>
> The mouse works fine under Windows XP(dual boot system) and when I cat

> /dev/input/mice and move the mouse, I get the random characters. The
> system is a cheapo MicroCenter PowerSpec, but I've had it running
> Linux and X successfully in the past. As a matter of fact, I installed

> Ubuntu on it the other day just to see if everything worked under
> Ubuntu and it did. X and the mouse worked fine.
>
> Very frustrating how much trouble I've been having with this.
> Any other ideas.
>
> Ed

Well, the thing that normally works for me is to play around with the
Protocol setting in the InputDevice section for my mouse. Right now, I
only have a USB mouse and the protocol is ImPS/2. I forget what the
other possible values are. Apparently, PS/2 mice do actually require
different protocol settings depending on make and manufacturer.

Do you own/could you borrow or procure an USB mouse? I found them to be
much less painful to configure. You could play around with one of those
to make sure that it's a problem with that particular mouse and not
something more fundamental with X.

Oh and one little anecdote from my vast store of experiences, a
cautionary tale, if you will: Once upon a time, I had a very similar
problem; kept me looking for answers for quite a while. In the end, it
turned out that I had two mouse devices defined in my xorg.conf, but
only one of them (the one that wasn't actually connected) was added to
the ServerLayout section. Things to ponder...

 --j