Re: saving xterm scrolling data to file

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 05:14:55PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
} When I run a command with debug in xterm, a lot of info scrolls
} past. How can I save this to a file? All I get is how to debug
} the debug message, not the debuging information itself, which just
} scrolls quickly by in the terminal:
}
}   For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
}   Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
}   If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
}   developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
}   gphoto2 as follows:
}
}     env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug --debug -f "/opt/tmp/camera" -P
}
}   Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.
}
} I vaguely recall there is a utility to capture input to the terminal
} to file.

The simplest thing to do is to run the output through tee (that's
/usr/bin/tee and you should read its man page). If you need to capture
stderr output, be sure to do so (command 2>&1 | tee logfile in bash).

You can also use xterm's builtin logging facility. Read the xterm man page
to learn more about it. You will have to mess with Xt resources to bind a
key to turning logging on and off, or just run xterm with the -l option to
turn it on.

}        Haines Brown
--Greg