Re: Problem mounting 2GB SD card in USB card reader

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 23:22 +0000, Steven Flintham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Debian 3.1 and have been using a couple of 512MB SD cards in
> my USB card reader without any problems. I'm running the standard 2.4
> kernel and have the following in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sdc1       /media/mmc      vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>
> When I do:
>
> mount /media/mmc
>
> the SD card mounts fine, and dmesg shows:
>
> SCSI device sdc: 1002496 512-byte hdwr sectors (513 MB)
> sdc: Write Protect is off
>  /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun2: p1
>
> I've recently bought a 2GB SD card, which seems to work fine (at least
> as far as my Treo 600 is concerned). However, when I put it in the card
> reader and try to mount it, the process hangs (the system is fine, it's
> just that process which seems unkillable - I'm writing this with the
> system in this state) and dmesg shows:
>
> SCSI device sdc: 2031616 1024-byte hdwr sectors (2080 MB)
> sdc: Write Protect is off
>  /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun2:<6>usb.c: USB disconnect on device
>  00:07.2-2address 2
>  hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 3
>  WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
>  USB Mass Storage device found at 3
>
> I've tried running:
>
> mkdosfs /dev/sdc1
>
> which works fine with a 512MB card but produces a similar process hang
> with the 2GB card.
>
> I tried using the 2.6.8 kernel but when I installed it and rebooted, my
> system seemed to encounter a kernel panic - I have to admit I haven't
> investigated this in any great detail.
>
> I don't have any other operating systems installed so I can't tell if my
> card reader is somehow incompatible with 2GB cards, but I tried booting
> off an old version of Knoppix (3.6 2004-08-16) which I had lying around.
> Under that I can't seem to manage to mount even my 512MB card, so that
> wasn't much help.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, and apologies if I somehow
> managed to miss any advice on this when I searched the debian-user
> archives.

The maximum size of a FAT16 FS is 2GB.  Maybe there's an "off by 1"
error?

Have you tried formatting it FAT32, or re-partitioning sdc1 1.95GB?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Democracy becomes a government of bullies, tempered by editors."
Ralph Waldo Emerson