/home not mounting during bootup (stable, ppc)

I'm running debian stable (PPC) on an old mac G3.  My /home partition is
on an external SCSI drive, and is listed as follows in fstab:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sda1       /home           ext3    defaults        0       1
/dev/hda4       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0

However on bootup I get the following error when it tries to mount the
home partition:

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

It gives me the option to continue anyway, which I do, and it then
mounts fine and I can use the machine perfectly well.  While playing
around I changed the <pass> column value to 0 for /home and after that
the error message went away on bootup, primarily because the drive is
now not mounted atall at bootup.  I see no mention of it atall with
dmesg.  However if, after booting, I run 'mount /home' it mounts
perfectly.  Anyone any ideas what's going on?