[SOLVED]Re: apt ignores apt.conf settings

On 1/8/06, Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> wrote:
> Where did you find those settings for "APT::Periodic"?  I've never heard of
> them, and my searches turned up dry.  Are you expecting that setting those
> will cause apt-get or aptitude to automatically download new packages?  I
> don't think that's the case; something has to actually execute the commands
> to download--apt isn't a daemon.

From /etc/cron.daily/apt

# This file understands the following apt configuration variables:
#
#  "APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists=1"
#  - Do "apt-get update" automatically every n-days (0=disable)
#
#  "APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages=0",
#  - Do "apt-get upgrade --download-only" every n-days (0=disable)
#
#  "APT::Periodic::AutocleanInterval"
#  - Do "apt-get autoclean" every n-days (0=disable)
#

later on in the script:

eval $(apt-config shell UpdateInterval
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists DownloadUpgradeableInterval
APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages)
AutocleanInterval=$DownloadUpgradeableInterval
eval $(apt-config shell AutocleanInterval APT::Periodic::Autoclean)

As you can see, those options do exist.

I have managed to get this working simply by changing the format :
Instead of having,
<<<
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists=1

I wrote

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists 1
<<<

And now all is working:
<<<
$ ls -l /var/lib/apt/periodic/
total 0
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 2006-01-08 06:26 autoclean-stamp
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 2006-01-08 06:26 download-upgradeable-stamp
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 2006-01-08 06:25 update-stamp

I'm happy :)

> For authentication, a better solution would be to add the keys to apt's
> keyring; by working around it you're throwing out the security it offers.

Yes, you are quite right.
This is solvable by issuing a
<<<
wget http://ftp-master.debian.org/ziyi_key_2006.asc -O - | apt-key add -

I simply saw in this situation a good opportunity for testing the
apt.conf file, to see if it has effect on my system. The funny thing
is that while looking for a solution this this GPG problem, I solved
another one (the one above).

> For the default release, well, I don't know about "APT::Default-Release",
> but I know that pinning in /etc/apt/preferences works.

Could you please attach here your pinning options ?
Default-Release does work but causes me other problems that I believe
would be solved by using pinning.

Thank you for helping.